XML Development Course
XML (eXtensible Markup Language) is used in many systems to handle data and configuration. It is also used on web sites, for documentation, for interfaces between systems, and even for images. This course gives you a solid foundation in XML, including XML schemas.
|Duration:||3 days. Courses are presented from 08:30 to 16:30.|
|Investment:||R6,300.00 excluding VAT per delegate.|
|Venue:||The Incus Data Training Venue in Centurion, Pretoria. Courses can also be presented on-site for 5 or more delegates.|
|Dates:||Please check the course schedule for the next available date. You can also contact us at tel: (+27) 12 666 2020 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about dates.|
Please fill in this form if you would like us to contact you about your training requirements, or if you would like to be kept informed of dates for the XML Development course.
Fields marked with * are required.
Incus Data does not sell or otherwise distribute email addresses. We will not divulge your personal information to anyone unless specifically authorised by you.
Audience: Is This The Right Course For Me?
You should attend the XML Development course if:
- You need to work with XML data.
- You need a better understanding of XML and schemas for working with web services.
- You want to use XML for documentation or training material.
Prerequisites: Am I Ready For The Course?
Before you attend the XML Development course:
- You must be familiar with files, folders and filename extensions.
- You should be able to use a text editor.
- You do not need to have previous experience with programming or a markup language, although that experience will help you on the course. But if you plan to attend our HTML and CSS course, please attend that course first.
Please ensure you meet the prerequisites for the XML Development Course before you attend the course. Read the importance of course prerequisites to understand why this is necessary.
Objectives: What Will I Learn?
After you have completed the XML Development course, you will be able to:
- Understand the role of XML and the international standards that apply to XML.
- Understand why it is important to validate XML.
- Understand the concept of XML namespaces.
- Create and use an XML Schema document.
- Create well-formed and valid XML documents.
- Understand how XML is used in web services, images and other environments.
Technical Contents: What Does The Course Cover?
- XML Basics
- The W3C and the evolution of XML.
- The role of XML today.
- XML elements and attributes.
- The XML Prolog.
- Well-formed XML and valid XML.
- Document Type Definitions
- Using a DTD to validate XML.
- The DOCTYPE declaration.
- Element declarations.
- Attribute declarations.
- Internal and external DTDs.
- Internal and external general entities.
- Internal and external parameter entities.
- XML Namespaces
- The role of namespaces.
- Declaring a namespace.
- Using multiple namespaces.
- The default namespace.
- Attributes and namespaces.
- XML Schemas
- Schemas versus DTDs.
- The XMLSchema and XMLSchema-instance namespaces.
- The type hierarchy.
- Simple element content versus complex element content.
- Built-in simple types.
- Element type definitions
- Custom simple types.
- Facets for restriction for strings, numbers and dates.
- Union and list types.
- Custom complex types for elements with element content.
- Custom complex types for elements with mixed content.
- Custom complex types for elements with text content.
- Custom complex types for empty elements.
- Attribute type definitions.
- Including schemas.
- Schemas and namespaces.
- Other Topics
- Introduction to transformation: the role of XSLT and XSL-FO.
- XML in web services.
- XML in RSS.
Testimonials: What Other Delegates Say About This Course
"The course was well structured and the instructor had a lot of extensive knowledge about the subject matter."
J. Chauke, Standard Bank (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"As always a very rewarding and pleasant experience."
F. du Toit, Spoor & Fischer (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Jacqui made the course interesting & fun & is always willing to assist with issues. All the staff here are very friendly & helpful. It is a pleasure to do course in this environment."
L. Ashford, Nedbank (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"One of the great privileges while working at MTN, is the opportunity to attend a lot of training sessions and one quickly picks up shortcomings with training providers - the other lot aren't as good as Jacqui. Lots of fun!!!"
T. May, MTN (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Very good course and an excellent lecturer."
P. Jugga, ABSA (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"She is the best! She is able to explain in a satisfactory manner. I like her sense of humor! She makes XML look easy."
T. Sidu, Nedbank (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Thank you. I enjoyed the course 100%. Jacqui is a great lecturer!!"
Y. von Benecke, MIP Holdings (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Thank you Jacqui we enjoyed the course. You have a natural talent for training people."
P. Blom, MIP Holdings (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Very knowledgeable and patient. A keen lecturer"
M. Lall, Tshwane University of Technology (Lecturer: Jacqui)
How Do I Book?
After we have received your booking, we will send you a confirmation that you are booked on the course, an invoice and directions to the venue.
Tip: Most PDF readers, other than Adobe Reader, will let you save the form with the data you have entered. If you are using Adobe Reader, however, you might not be able to do this. But don't despair: when you have typed in the information, just print the file to PDF - and you'll have a completed enrolment form ready to email to us.