- Incus Data Home >
- Course List >
- Object Orientation >
- Object-Oriented Analysis & Design using UML Course
Object-Oriented Analysis & Design using UML Course
Object Orientation, or OO, is a methodology that can be used during the whole software development life cycle: from analysis of users' needs, to design and then coding and testing. The Unified Modelling Language (UML) is an international set of diagrams for modelling your system using an object-oriented approach.
This course will teach you how to analyse, design and document your system using established OO principles. It will help you to understand the problem and the solution better, communicate it more effectively and guide you to write better code.
|Duration:||4.5 days. Courses are presented from 08:30 to 16:30.|
|Investment:||R10,400.00 excluding VAT per delegate.|
|Venue:||The Incus Data Training Venue in Centurion, Pretoria. Courses can also be presented on-site for 5 or more delegates.|
|Dates:||Please check the course schedule for the next available date. You can also contact us at tel: (+27) 12 666 2020 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about dates.|
Please fill in this form if you would like us to contact you about your training requirements, or if you would like to be kept informed of dates for the Object-Oriented Analysis & Design using UML course.
Fields marked with * are required.
Incus Data does not sell or otherwise distribute email addresses. We will not divulge your personal information to anyone unless specifically authorised by you.
Audience: Is This The Right Course For Me?
You should attend the Object Oriented Analysis and Design using UML course if:
- You are a programmer moving to an object-oriented language, like Java.
- You are a programmer using an object-oriented language, but want to understand and use object-oriented principles more effectively.
- You are a system analyst or designer, and you need to design object-oriented systems.
- You are a system architect, and you need to understand how to design and create object-oriented systems.
Prerequisites: Am I Ready For The Course?
Before you attend the Object Oriented Analysis and Design using UML course:
- You should have some experience in programming, ideally in an object-oriented language like Java, C# or C++.
If you are a business analyst and have little or no programming experience, then you should attend the Object-Oriented Analysis course which runs as the first 3 days of this course.
Please ensure you meet the prerequisites for the Object-Oriented Analysis & Design using UML Course before you attend the course. Read the importance of course prerequisites to understand why this is necessary.
Objectives: What Will I Learn?
After you have completed the Object Oriented Analysis and Design using UML course, you will be able to:
- Understand object-oriented concepts and principles, and the OO project lifecycle.
- Write effective use cases.
- Take part in a design session that uses Class, Responsibilities, and Collaboration (CRC) cards.
- Design a system using classes and class relationships.
- Develop activity and class diagrams.
- Develop sequence and communication diagrams.
Technical Contents: What Does The Course Cover?
- The evolution of the object-oriented paradigm.
- OOP compared to other programming paradigms.
- Advantages and disadvantages of OOP.
- Object-Oriented Concepts and Terminology
- Classes and objects.
- Attributes and behaviours.
- Data abstraction and encapsulation.
- Inheritance and code reuse.
- Associations and relationships between classes.
- Unified Modelling Language
- History and evolution of the UML.
- UML diagrams: use case, class, object, sequence, communication, state, activity, component, package, timing, subsystem, model, deployment diagrams.
- Common extension mechanisms.
- UML modelling tools.
- Object-Oriented Methodologies
- Traditional Software Development Lifecycle.
- Iterative and incremental development.
- The need for an OOAD process.
- The Rational Unified Approach (RUP).
- The Iconix method.
- Extreme Programming and Agile Modelling.
- Object-Oriented Analysis
- Behaviour analysis and use cases.
- Activity diagrams.
- CRC cards.
- Domain modelling.
- Class identification and domain classes.
- UML diagrams for analysis.
- Object-Oriented Design
- Responsibility driven design.
- Class design and detailed class diagrams.
- Robustness diagrams and the MVC architecture.
- Sequence, communication and state diagrams.
- Timing diagrams.
- UML diagrams for design.
- Design Principles & Patterns
- What makes a design feel "right".
- Advanced design principles.
- Design pattern concepts.
- Examples of commonly used patterns.
Testimonials: What Other Delegates Say About This Course
"The course covers a lot in a short time. It's a good overview of what I need to know to design and plan OO software."
D. van der Merwe, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"I enjoyed the course. Very insightful. I liked the way it is structured."
J. Wannenburg, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Great course. I appreciate the fact that we could investigate a real world example. It bridged the gap between theory and reality. Exceptional food!"
S. Smuts, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"The course was very good and the lecturer was very dynamic."
C. Goldman, Compu-Clearing (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Very good course."
Valery Goldis, Compu-Clearing (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Lewis really knows his subject very well."
E. Kearns, Nedbank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Great course. It has cleared up quite a few questions I had."
A. Ismail, First National Bank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Well structured, thought through, balanced for all levels of code or development experience. Managed delegates and personalities well. Knowledge is vast and deep but yet easy translatable to delegates. Thank you for the additional care on my allegies."
C. Coetzee, Standard Bank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Thank you very much, I thoroughly enjoyed this course and Lewis is an excellent tutor."
P. Herbst, FNB (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Very interesting, a lot to understand when starting but the explanations were excellent."
R. Jones, Standard Bank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"I'm really taking a lot back to the workplace. Thanks Lewis."
S. Siricoth, Regent Insurance (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Lewis, Lewis, Lewis. You really know exactly what you talk about all the time. Keep up the good work. I am impressed."
M. Rudzani, Standard Bank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"The course was very informative. I'm confident it will be very hepful in the execution of my duties at work."
K. Mtintsilana, SITA (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Very good, entertaining and well presented."
A. Conyers, Reutech Communications (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Well designed and executed course - thanks."
L. Brits, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Incredibly valuable course. Thank you!"
R. Rochè, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Truly enjoyed the course. Concepts were explained well & methods taught were logical & practical. Course material is extensive & covers more than I expected, which will be useful beyond this course."
H. Swanepoel, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Would definitely recommend the course to our project managers"
R. de Nysschen, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Very enjoyable and informative"
S. Robson, Parsec (Lecturer: Lewis)
"I found the course extremely useful and will definitely push for OOAD in my next project. It was presented excellently and at the right pace!"
E. Motlhathudi, Denel Aviation (Lecturer: Lewis)
"I really enjoyed the course and learned a lot. I will definitely apply what I have learned at work and hopefully get others interested to follow."
V. Ward, Clientele (Lecturer: Lewis)
"This is definitely the best course that I've done. The lecturer is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic and imparts that to us."
J. Strydom, Accenture (Lecturer: Lewis)
"I have learnt a great deal from this course especially with regards to the design patterns"
L. Chanderman, Rand Merchant Bank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Very good course - made clear many aspects of UML Design that I was unclear on."
F. Fayard, Rand Merchant Bank (Lecturer: Lewis)
"I have learnt a lot from the course and will continue to read the material to advance my knowledge"
N. Martins, Accenture (Lecturer: Lewis)
"My objective was to change my mindset and this course definitely achieved that for me. Brilliant course."
L. Zimba, Denel Dynamics (Lecturer: Lewis)
"This was great! Lewis is so knowledgeable and explains everything very well. I had so many 'Eureka!' moments. The food was great. I would love to take 6 months off and attend all the courses! I really mean all the 10s [referring to the ratings given for course contents and lecturer]."
J. van Zyl, Private (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Good lecturer, explains thoroughly and explains with examples so that it makes sense."
T. Mngomezulu, ABSA (Lecturer: Lewis)
"In general, very very good!"
K. Bezuidenhout, Momentum (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Lewis is a great instructor"
G. Lombard, eAirports (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Great course & lecturer. Had lots of fun & learned lots. Thanks"
H. Botha, Discovery (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Enjoyed practical, real world examples. Enjoyed 'project' angle (methodologies etc.)"
N. Bell, MIP Holdings (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Almost all the topics covered by this course were part of my BSc Honours degree this year, but the different approach to the subject matter made this course most valuable"
P.D.A. Hubbard, Telkom (Lecturer: Lewis)
How Do I Book?
After we have received your booking, we will send you a confirmation that you are booked on the course, an invoice and directions to the venue.
Tip: Most PDF readers, other than Adobe Reader, will let you save the form with the data you have entered. If you are using Adobe Reader, however, you might not be able to do this. But don't despair: when you have typed in the information, just print the file to PDF - and you'll have a completed enrolment form ready to email to us.