Linux Fundamentals Course
Linux is the most popular operating system for web servers, and is a very powerful and flexible system. This course will introduce you to the fundamentals of the Linux operating system. It covers topics from installation and system architecture to scripting languages and the principles of Linux programming.
|Duration:||4.5 days. Courses are presented from 08:30 to 16:30.|
|Investment:||R7,800.00 excluding VAT per delegate.|
|Venue:||The Incus Data Training Venue in Centurion, Pretoria. Courses can also be presented on-site for 5 or more delegates.|
|Dates:||Please check the course schedule for the next available date. You can also contact us at tel: (+27) 12 666 2020 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about dates.|
Please fill in this form if you would like us to contact you about your training requirements, or if you would like to be kept informed of dates for the Linux Fundamentals course.
Fields marked with * are required.
Incus Data does not sell or otherwise distribute email addresses. We will not divulge your personal information to anyone unless specifically authorised by you.
Audience: Is This The Right Course For Me?
You should attend the Linux Fundamentals course if:
- You are a programmer and you want to program on Linux.
- You want to be able to understand and use the Linux operating system.
- You want to be able to write and run scripts on the Linux operating system.
Prerequisites: Am I Ready For The Course?
Before you attend the Linux Fundamentals course:
- You should have some experience, even if limited, using a command line interface and a text editor.
- You will find it useful to have some C programming experience. It is not essential for this course, but it is a good idea to add our Standard C Programming course course to your training program.
Please ensure you meet the prerequisites for the Linux Fundamentals Course before you attend the course. Read the importance of course prerequisites to understand why this is necessary.
Objectives: What Will I Learn?
After you have completed the Linux Fundamentals course, you will be able to:
- Install Linux.
- Configure and administer a Linux system for everyday use.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
- Understand and use command line shells.
- Perform basic bash shell scripting.
- Create and compile programs (mainly in C).
Technical Contents: What Does The Course Cover?
- Unix & Linux history.
- Basic principles.
- Hardware principles.
- Networking hardware.
- PC hard disk structure.
- CD-ROMs & DVDs.
- Installation Principles
- Distribution types.
- Planning, Preparation, Formatting.
- Boot managers & dual-booting.
- Application & daemons.
- Dependencies & Package managers.
- System Architecture
- Device drivers.
- Hardware discovery.
- Plug and Play.
- Bootup process.
- File systems.
- Linux Standard Base (LSB) and Linux Filesystem Standard (LFS).
- Login shells.
- Window managers.
- Remote X.
- Run levels.
- Shells and Usage
- Shell concepts & versions.
- Finding help.
- Command line.
- File & directory manipulation.
- Standard Input / Output / Error.
- Pipes; Redirection.
- Hard & symbolic links.
- Archiving & compression.
- Configuration and Administration
- Users, groups, passwords, permissions.
- Log files.
- Runtime information.
- NFS, Samba.
- FTP; Telnet.
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
- Remote login.
- Scripting Languages
- Shell scripts.
- Variables, expressions, operators, iteration, selection, functions, comments.
- File globbing.
- Regular expressions.
- Other scripting languages or scriptable tools: sed, awk, perl, python.
- Console control.
- Linux Programming Introduction
- GCC (GNU compiler).
- Make files.
- AutoConf and AutoMake.
- Kernel compilation.
- Processes & threads.
- Socket programming.
- X programming.
- GUI libraries: wxWidgets, QT and GTK.
Testimonials: What Other Delegates Say About This Course
" I really enjoyed my time and the course was challenging but he (Renier) tried everything so that we understand everything about. "
W. Sithole, Thales SA (Lecturer: Renier)
"The course was very informative and the facilitator has excetional knowledge of the material."
C. von Zweel, Standard Bank of SA (Lecturer: Renier)
"Course was brilliant."
S. Sibanyoni, Standard Bank of SA (Lecturer: Renier)
"This course gave me a great overview of the Linux system"
V. Zulu, Ubiquitech (Lecturer: Renier)
"Thank you I really enjoyed the course, have lots of reading material to work thru. Look forward to doing another with Incus Data."
M. Meise, Bankserv Africa (Lecturer: Renier)
"Wonderful venue. Stimulating and expert lecturer. Learned a great deal. Good balance between theory and practice. Thanks"
C. Sonntag, Nanoteq (Lecturer: Renier)
"In all an excellent course with a lecturer who knows all the ins and outs of the topic. Thank you very much for all the shared applications!"
R. Broodryk, Denel Dynamics (Lecturer: Renier)
"Awesome knowledge gained!! Thanks Renier. Food was brilliant (I don't want to go home)"
F. Erasmus, Deposita (Lecturer: Renier)
"I enjoyed the course and found it very informative. My interest in Linux is sufficiently stimulated to find out more."
J. Miller, RDB Consulting (Lecturer: Renier)
"Baie beindruk met die moeite wat gedoen is om ekstra inligting te verskaf. Die ekstra myl te stap vir die kursusgangers."
P. van Dalen, Nanoteq (Lecturer: Renier)
"Course was very well presented. Renier's knowledge of Linux in general is amazing. He puts across important points well. Great environment for learning, clean and relaxing atmostphere. Very friendly staff."
T. Bassett, UCS (Lecturer: Renier)
"This was one of the best courses I have attended till now. Renier is excellent and knows his subject very well. Could not have asked for a better course for Linux."
S. Bhala, UCS (Lecturer: Renier)
P. Dlahmini, UCS (Lecturer: Renier)
"Thanks for an excellent course. Well-presented and organised. Speaks of proffesionalism"
L. Horne, ADS (Lecturer: Renier)
How Do I Book?
After we have received your booking, we will send you a confirmation that you are booked on the course, an invoice and directions to the venue.
Tip: Most PDF readers, other than Adobe Reader, will let you save the form with the data you have entered. If you are using Adobe Reader, however, you might not be able to do this. But don't despair: when you have typed in the information, just print the file to PDF - and you'll have a completed enrolment form ready to email to us.