Introduction to Computer Programming Course
Learning to code is a valuable skill. Even if you don't want to be a career programmer, many of the programs you use every day can be programmed in some way to make your work faster and easier. This course is for people who have little or no programming experience. It introduces you to the fundamental building blocks of programming languages, and how to use them to write short programs. You will not be a programmer after 5 days, but you will have the essential foundation on which you can start building your skills.
|Duration:||4.5 days. Courses are presented from 08:30 to 16:30.|
|Investment:||R7,800.00 excluding VAT per delegate.|
|Venue:||The Incus Data Training Venue in Centurion, Pretoria. Courses can also be presented on-site for 5 or more delegates.|
|Dates:||Please check the course schedule for the next available date. You can also contact us at tel: (+27) 12 666 2020 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about dates.|
Please fill in this form if you would like us to contact you about your training requirements, or if you would like to be kept informed of dates for the Introduction to Computer Programming course.
Fields marked with * are required.
Incus Data does not sell or otherwise distribute email addresses. We will not divulge your personal information to anyone unless specifically authorised by you.
Audience: Is This The Right Course For Me?
You should attend the Introduction to Computer Programming course if:
- You want to become a programmer and you need to first learn the basics.
- You want to learn how to write short scipts so that you can program or customise other applications.
- You want to have a better understanding of what programming is about.
Prerequisites: Am I Ready For The Course?
Before you attend the Introduction to Computer Programming course:
- You should be familiar with the concepts of files and folders on your computer.
- You should be able to use a simple text editor.
- You should understand and be able to perform simple maths calculations that make use of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponentiation, comparisons and the use of Pi.
Please ensure you meet the prerequisites for the Introduction to Computer Programming Course before you attend the course. Read the importance of course prerequisites to understand why this is necessary.
Objectives: What Will I Learn?
After you have completed the Introduction to Computer Programming course, you will:
- Understand different numbering systems and the principle of how computers store data.
- Understand how to use variables and constants to store values in a program.
- Understand the concept of data types and the role that data types play.
- Understand the different kinds of operators and how to use them in programming statements.
- Understand how conditional ("if") statements and iterative ("loop") statements work and when to use them.
- Understand the concept of a function or procedure, and how to pass data to it and get data returned from it.
- Write small scripts.
- Understand the role of testing, types of errors in programs, and how to handle errors.
Technical Contents: What Does The Course Cover?
- Introduction to Computers
- Computer architecture.
- Types of application software.
- Programming languages
- The concept of a programming language.
- Classification of programming languages.
- Compilers and interpreters.
- Source code and object code.
- Numbering systems
- Binary, octal, decimal and hexadecimal numbering systems.
- Converting data from one numbering system to another.
- Internal representation of numeric data.
- Internal representation of non-numeric data.
- Building blocks of programming languages
- Variables and constants.
- Local and global scope.
- Data types.
- Assignment operators.
- Comparison operators.
- Logical operators and the truth tables.
- Arithmetic operators.
- String operators.
- Operator precedence.
- Subroutines and functions.
- Built-in versus user-defined functions.
- Parameters and return values.
- Conditional statements.
- Iterative statements.
- Testing and Debugging
- Sources of errors.
- Errors relating to internal representation.
- Debugging and error handling.
- Other Topics
- Introduction to Object Orientation.
- Introduction to relational databases.
- The Systems Development Life Cycle.
Testimonials: What Other Delegates Say About This Course
"This is the first training course I have been on that I haven't fallen asleep in! This was beyond brilliant. Charles is amazing at what he does."
J. Muller, Momentum (Lecturer: Charles)
"Course was an eye-opener, got a lot more information and a hands-on experience for the first time in writing code, more than I expected."
S. Thandani, Daimler (Lecturer: Charles)
"Very well put out course. I learned a lot and I am looking forward to my next course."
J. Germishuys, Route Management (Lecturer: Charles)
"Beautiful venue, great course, and superb lecturer. Looking forward to more. Thanks!"
J. Forsyth, RS Components (Lecturer: Charles)
"Very impressed how the module helped in me getting to structure my thoughts when it comes to completing a task."
P. Mothibeli, ABSA (Lecturer: Charles)
"Course was very informative, and the lecturer is very knowledgeable."
V. Outywa, Mercedes-Benz SA (Lecturer: Charles)
"This course will definitely assist in developing my skills to solve more complex problems."
S. Mafenyka, Mercedes-Benz SA (Lecturer: Charles)
"Great course! Great lecturer!"
R. Bensch, Momentum (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Thanks a lot. 150% smiley face!"
S. Moela, Private (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"I loved my training & most deff coming back to learn a specific language."
P. Tshabalala, Internet Solutions (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"I would definitely recommend ths course to any interested personnel. The lecturer is outstanding."
V. Myekiso, Mercedes-Benz SA (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Keep up good work!! It was worth every cent!!"
G. Mgodeli, Mercedes-Benz SA (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"The lecturer was very patient and the course was interesting, she motivated us and I am glad I attended the course; I understand better."
B. Mdhluli, Unhu IT Consulting (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"The lecturer had good subject knowledge and articulated everything in a simplified manner and comprehensively for every student to understand. Fundamentals to basic programmin skills was distinctively archieved. Thanks Jacqui"
S. Ntuli, Unhu IT Consulting (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"This was a very interesting course and an eye opener to programming!! Thank you Jacqui, God bless"
O. Ramphisa, Unhu IT Consulting (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Excellent knowledge and overall experience!!"
F. Laas, VIP Payroll (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"I really would recommend Incus Data to other people. Well done!"
P. van Vuuren, Private (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"The lecturer was great. Her description of how to do things and her abillity to relate these things to how they happen in real life was great. I was always able to complete my tasks due to her help."
D. Biddulph, Private (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"A very enjoyable course. Jacqui was excellent in explaining how everything fits together."
T. Hoosan, ABSA (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Great Course, Great Lecturer. Found the time I spent here was stimulating and the people are great."
W. Barnes, Private (Lecturer: Jacqui)
"Puik aangebied en Jacqui (aanbieder) puik"
R. Augustyn, Discovery (Lecturer: Jacqui)
How Do I Book?
After we have received your booking, we will send you a confirmation that you are booked on the course, an invoice and directions to the venue.
Tip: Most PDF readers, other than Adobe Reader, will let you save the form with the data you have entered. If you are using Adobe Reader, however, you might not be able to do this. But don't despair: when you have typed in the information, just print the file to PDF - and you'll have a completed enrolment form ready to email to us.